drivers suspensionLong Island Traffic Attorney

Definite suspension

If you get a definite suspension order, it will tell you how long the suspension period will last. You cannot drive until the suspension period ends, you pay a suspension termination fee, and have an otherwise valid driver license. You can use DMV’s link below to check if your driver license is valid

Here are common reasons for definite suspensions:

  • you did not have automobile liability insurance
  • you were convicted of an alcohol or drug charge
  • you received too many traffic tickets in a certain amount of time
  • you did not follow the rules for junior drivers
  • you failed to pay a DMV fee

Indefinite suspension

If you receive an indefinite suspension order, it will tell you what you must do to remove the suspension, such as answer a traffic ticket, pay a traffic fine or file a motor vehicle crash report.

Some examples are:

  • you did not answer a traffic ticket and/or failed to pay a DMV fee
  • you did not file a motor vehicle accident report
  • you failed to pay child support
  • you have unpaid NYS tax debts

Check Suspensions

It is very important that you don’t operate a motor vehicle with a suspended driver license, privileges or registration. If you do, and you get pulled over, police will charge you with a criminal offense . If you drive with a suspended license or privilege, you will be charged with VTL 511.1 (or 511.2 or 511.3 depending on a number and dates of outstanding suspensions). Aggravated operation of a motor vehicle is a criminal offense (Unclassified Misdemeanor) in the State of New York. Same applies to driving with a suspended registration – VTL 512. It is also a crime – unclassified misdemeanor. Very often drivers do not update their home address where they get mail with NYS DMV which causes DMV to send notices of upcoming or existing driver license or registration suspensions to the old address on file. Therefore, if you change your address, let DMV know about it right away. This can be done online.

In addition, if you get a traffic ticket, make sure you don’t ignore it and resolve it. If you are not sure if you have any outstanding tickets that may cause your driver license or registration get suspended, you can get your DMV driving record online or at any DMV office. When we represent a client on a traffic matter, we obtain such driving record on behalf of the client to make sure there are no surprises and client is aware of her/his driving history.

For more information about drivers license suspension, please contact our Long Island traffic attorneys at 516-505-2300 or 718-368-2800

Call now Email now